Portrait by Arafat Karim
December 29, 1914 in Kendua, Kishoreganj, Bangladesh.
Graduation in Fine Arts from the Government School of Arts, Kolkata, 1938.Higher Studies in Slade School, London, 1951.
Type of Art
Water Color, Oil, Ink and Brush.
‘My belief never endorses that fine arts is solely for the sake of fine arts; rather I believe that it is for shaping and beautifying life of a human being. Creation of the most beautiful would only be possible when nature, people and life would be uniform. Every human being and the entire society of the world as well as all of us have to reach that state of uniformity.’
- Governor’s Gold Medal, Academy of Fine Arts, Kolkata, All India Art Exhibition, 1938
- Rockefeller Foundation Fellowship, 1956-57
- Pride of Performance, Pakistan, 1959
- Honorary President of Bangla Academy, 1972
- Honorary D.Lit awarded by the University of Delhi, India, 1973
- National Professor of Bangladesh, 1975
Independence Day Award (highest national award of the Govt. of Bangladesh), 1977 (Posthumous).
- Exhibition at the Imperial Institute, London, 1951
- Berkeley Galleries, London, 1952
- Lahore, 1953 Exhibition at Karachi arranged by the Pakistan Arts Council, 1955
- Damaru Gallery, Japan, 1955
- Museum of Art, San francisco, 1956
- New York, 1957 Germany, 1957
- Smithsonian Institute, Washington D.C., U.S.A., 1957
- Moscow, 1961 Retrospective Exhibition organized by the Bangladesh Shilpakala Academy, 1977
- The Art of ZainulAbedin, Retrospective Exhibition organized by the Bangladesh Shilpakala Academy, Bangladesh National Museum and the Bengal Foundation, 2004.
Participated in many National and International exhibitions in the U.S.A., Canada, U.K., Mexico, India, Pakistan, Japan, Bangladesh and many other countries.
- National Museum, Brussels, Belgium
- San Francisco Museum of Arts, USA
- Labor Museum, Pakistan
- National Museum, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- ZainulSangrahasala, Mymensingh, Bangladesh
- Many private and institutional collections at home and abroad.
May 28, 1976 in Dhaka, Bangladesh.